Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Nutrition Education (70%): Implement youth and adult nutrition programming, using curriculum as approved by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Network Local Project, including Fresh Fest and Cooking Matters.
Community Outreach (10%): Create and distribute nutrition education and promotion materials to target audience (at schools, community partner sites, East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market).
Program evaluation (10%): Work with Nutrition Education Project Manager and Evaluation Specialist to ensure programs are properly reported and evaluated.
Community development and relationship building (10%): serve as an effective ambassador for all nutrition and K-6 education programming. Maintain positive relationships with community partners and participants (through email, phone, meetings and other media).
Nutrition Education (70%)
- Teach nutrition-based lessons to youth and adults during the school day.
- Teach after-school nutrition education programs.
- Meet regularly with the Nutrition Education Project Manager to ensure program needs and grant deliverables are being met.
Community Outreach (10%)
- Create nutrition education media, such as flyers and newsletters, and distribute at classes, events, programs and the East Palo Alto Community Farmers’ Market.
- Participate in community outreach programs.
Program Evaluation (10%)
- Follow CDPH protocol to properly evaluate nutrition education programs (pre- and post-tests, surveys, etc.) and record data.
- Assist the Nutrition Education Project Manager and Evaluation Specialist with compiling data to develop reports.
Community Development and Relationship Building (10%)
- Assure highest quality relationships with all participants in Collective Root’s programs by maintaining professional email, phone and in-person contact.
- Maintain existing Collective Roots partnerships while supporting future partnership development.
- Check in with partners regarding impact and satisfaction
A background in nutrition, health and cooking and teaching is preferred. Additionally, bi-lingual skills in Spanish or Tongan is desired.
The candidate will have successful work experience in education, nutrition-based learning, healthy cooking and community outreach. Additionally, experience serving low-income, ethnically diverse populations and a knowledge of education, public health and nutrition is desirable. Previous curriculum development, non-profit, or other education related experience is preferred as is experience supervising volunteers, coordinating and overseeing programs.
We are looking for someone with excellent time management and organizational skills; excellent interpersonal skills; and the ability to work with students, parents, teachers, staff, and Collective Root’s partners. A candidate bilingual in English/Spanish is preferred. Proven leadership and problem solving skills and a demonstrated track record of successful collaboration and community building is ideal.
This non-exempt, temporary position is hourly and grant funded for approximately 500 hours. Work hours can be flexible and largely depend on nutrition education schedule, but on average will be between 10 and 16 hours per week. When applying, please indicate your availability by day of the week.
Please note that the position is At-Will under California law. The start date for this position is May 1, 2013 and funding for the position will expire around December 15, 2013.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Collective Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such we value diversity and actively solicit qualified applicants from all ethnic and racial backgrounds. Our board-adopted policy prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, political affiliation or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Phone calls will not be accepted. The position is open until filled and interviews begin immediately.