Title: Bookkeeper and Office Manager
Location: East Palo Alto, California
Reports To: Executive Director
Collective Roots is a non-profit organization based in East Palo Alto that employs a highly collaborative methodology for accomplishing garden and nutrition education and food justice work with youth and adults. For additional information please visit www.collectiveroots.org.
The bookkeeper and office manager is responsible for performing a variety of bookkeeping, accounting (including processing payroll twice monthly), financial record keeping and transactions including accounts payable, receivable and general ledger. The bookkeeper and office manager is also responsible for basic HR documentation, maintaining personnel files and coordinating benefits coverage.
Compensation and Benefits:
The bookkeeper and office manager is a part-time, exempt position with benefits (medical, dental, vision) available on prorated FTE basis. The position is for an estimated 24 hours/week at $25/hour and subject to background checks and a 90 introductory period.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates, reviews and maintains payroll records as processed by outside service; processes payroll at the close of pay periods (semi-monthly); prepares, records and distributes paychecks
- Prepares appropriate reports for staff and board including monthly financial statements and reports, including but not limited to, profit and loss statement and balance sheet.
- Makes bank deposits and receipts of money; reconciles bank accounts and maintains petty cash funds
- Coordinates record keeping for the annual audit
- Maintains personnel records and manages benefits and financial data for all employees
- Manages invoicing, accounts receivable and regular billing of invoicable grants
- Issues checks for bills and employee reimbursements in an accurate and timely manner; ensures that all expenditures are appropriately categorized
- Demonstrates a high level of professionalism in dealing with confidential and sensitive issues
- Adheres to established internal control systems that monitor critical areas of financial control, identifies problems and implements corrective action
- Coordinates with insurance agent(s) and executive director to ensure property/casualty coverages and limits are adequate and up-to-date in addition to implementing and maintaining employee benefit coverages.
- Performs other duties as assigned by executive director
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
Candidates must be able to demonstrate proficiency with Quickbooks, have an Associate’s Degree (AA/AS) or equivalent, and three to five years’ related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. The ideal candidate will be bilingual in Spanish and have nonprofit or small business experience with demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and Google Apps/Docs. Candidates must have excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; and the ability to manage priorities and workflow. Additionally candidates must have strong interpersonal skills; the ability to deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels; and good judgment, with the ability to make timely and sound decisions. Furthermore the candidate must have hands-on experience with benefits administration and maintaining personnel records. And finally the candidate must have an understanding of and commitment to the Collective Roots’ mission.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Collective Roots is an Equal Opportunity Employer and as such we value diversity and actively solicit qualified applicants from all ethnic and racial backgrounds. Our board-adopted policy prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, disability, veteran status, political affiliation or belief, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
To apply, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. TELEPHONE CALLS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Interviews will begin immediately.